Monday 9 July 2012

Biscuits

I think it was for my 14th birthday it may have been before, I've never been too good with the 'When' in my stories, but I do remember the 'Who' my sweet friend Debbie, turned up at my house with a delicious batch of freshly baked and iced gluten free biscuits for my birthday. I ate them all a little too quickly perhaps so had to get my hands on the recipe and she kindly obliged and it has been my go-to biscuit recipe ever since. I had a great group of friends growing up, they shared my love of all things crafty and baking and so Christmas and birthdays would be a riot of handmade delights. To me that has always been what a present is all about. Something that has taken time, love and thought to create. Anyone can buy a box of chocolates but to take your time to make and decorate those chocolates yourself, surely that's a gift worth giving, and one that I for one would always prefer to receive. My sister Emma had a birthday this week so deciding it was time for a change from all the cakies that I've been baking lately I thought I would try my hand at some iced biscuits. So I cracked open my trusty recipe; once she who wails was safely tucked up in bed, and baked and iced to my heart's content. For a first attempt they weren't too bad, I've learnt a few things and think I will definitely be doing this again, and the most impressive thing was that all but one ( someone had to check them for poison...;) made it to my sister, that was an achievement in itself as I usually take the 'one for me one for you' approach to baking!

Here's the recipe:)

Lemon gluten free biscuits:
4oz butter/ margarine
2oz sieved icing sugar
4oz gluten free flour
2oz corn flour
1/4 tsp salt
1tsp xanthum gum
Finely grated peel 1 lemon

Beat together butter and sugar until light and creamy
Mix in the lemon then add the flour, corn flour, salt and gum mix until it comes together in a dough, wrap in clingfilm and chill for an hour. It is a very soft dough but does roll out fairly easily if you dust well with corn flour. Bake at 170/c until lightly golden on the edges ( check after 15 mins)

You can change the lemon peel for different flavourings like a tsp of vanilla or almond extract or even try orange peel. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. They look beautiful. I wish I could have tasted one to see if they tasted as good as they looked.

    ReplyDelete